Sunday, February 22, 2009

Random Thoughts

It's been a few days since I have posted a new entry, and it is not because nothing has happened- rather that it hasn't been anything really different than what I have already told you about. But here a few thoughts from Wed - Sat.


The meetings that were mandatory for so long have pretty much ended and we are on our own a lot more. That being said the rules here are much more strict than back in South Bend. For one thing, we have to report to the hall supervisors if we are going to be out at night past a certain point and if we are going to be gone for a night. In South Bend we could theoretically be gone the entire semester without the hall ever knowing. There is also no alcohol allowed in or around the dorm. I believe this to be a misguided rule. Now I know that what you are thinking - of course a college kid is going to think this. But at least let me point out a few things: 1) 90-95% of us are already 21 years old 2) That is actually irrelevant because the drinking age is 18 down here so we are all legal. 3) They actually encourage us to drink, but just not in the dorm 4) What happens is it pushes all of the parties and drinking away from the dorm into bars and clubs in an area that we are not native to and not totally familiar with which is dangerous 5) They could control it if we did it in the building, whereas bar tenders do not cut you off here, the liability laws are totally different and they just want your money 6) alcohol is expensive at bars and it would save us all a lot of money summary) safer, cheaper, and more control if they would let us drink in the dorm rather than telling us we should drink, just out and around


A side note to that- we had a guy get punched out a bar a few days ago. I wasn't there, but all accounts (Americans and bar owners) say it was not his fault and the blame lays on a drunk Aussie.


Ok, on to different news. We had our first jellyfish sting in our group. A poor girl had one latch on her arm. I happened to be in the kitchen when her group of friends brought her back in. This being the case, I ran to my computer and googled it to find the correct procedure and to make sure we took all of the correct steps. She is fine, but I am now thought of the jellyfish expert because I quickly absorbed the steps and helped her out. It doesn't look like a lot of fun, but its just some pain and it will subside, and now we know what to do if it happens again.


Billiards tables are very different here than in the states. We have one in our dorm and also at all of the bars that we go to. They are much smaller, and the balls are smaller as well. The most frusterating part about it is the pocket shape and size prevents almost all bank-ins. There is almost no angle for opening and you must hit the ball cleanly in or it will bounce out. Much more frusterating game.


With community dinners twice a week, and me hording and cleaning up the leftovers the two nights following those, it only leaves me three nights a week of real cooking for dinners. Yesterday I took the big step and did up a full meal for the first time. Nicole and I decided to team up and cook together. I grilled up hamburgers while she put together some corn, potatoes and a tomato dish. I have to say the burgers actually tasted really good and I was pretty proud of myself because the grill was a little unpredictable and the pattys really thick.


I have heard rumors of snow in the Michigan / Indiana areas. You will be happy to know that it has gone over 100 degrees F here the last three days. A lot of time spent down at the beach and in the water to keep cool. The nice thing about it is that there is a breeze, and it actually cools down at night to make it a little more comfortable.


Sunburn update: a few of you commented that I seemed burned after the first day here. While that may have been slightly true I would like to point out that it was not my face or front of body that was burned and there has been absolutely no peeling there. My back, however, is not the same story. I pretty much missed it with the lotion on the first day, and it is now peeling a little. Since that very first day, though, I have been very dilligent with sunscreen and have absolutely no new burns. A nice tan going though.


Our group went to our favorite local spot Bar Orient for karaoke night this week. I did not make it up to the mic this time as it closed before my turn, but you can probably get a picture of what this whole scene looks like.


We also went to a new place that I really think is my favorite. It is in an old warehouse over the water that used to be a pier for shipping. They built a mini brewery in it and restaurant. They make all of their own beers, and also have great hard cider. The restaurant part is very cool to, and the deck over the water has great views. I am sure I will be going back.


So far we are having a blast. Without school, its kinda been like spring break in Florida with your buddies. Classes start up for the University on Monday, and for me on Tuesday. The last time that I was in a classroom for a lecture was Dec 12. That seems ages ago. People have emailed me asking about my schedule down here, so here it is.


Monday: off


Tuesday: Living Human Rights-- Lecture 4:30-6:30pm Tutorial 6:30-7:30pm


Wednesday: International Business-- Lecture 8:30-9:30 am

Moral Philosophy and Ethics -- Seminar 9:30 - 12:30

International Business -- Tutorial 3:30- 5:30pm


Thursday: Austrian Economics (not australian)-- Lecture 10:30-12:30 Tutorial 12:30-1:30


Friday: Australian History and Culture-- Lecture 8:30-10:30 am Tutorial 10:30 -11:30am



A few notes- many of you know that my earliest class in college I have taken yet was at 9:30, and I did not like getting up for that at all. Two 8:30s will be a different schooling experience for me. However, this also means that my weekends go from 11:30 am on friday to 4:30 pm on tuesday. Not a bad deal - and will allow for me to take many side trips over the weekends which I am looking forward to. I know of at least two others who have the same weekend setup and we are going to enjoy that time off.


I have yet to get books, and I am not looking forward to that monetary drain on my resources, but am actually kinda looking forward to school. Its been a while and its probably time to start doing something productive again.


I have found a new routine that I plan on sticking to while Im here. I love going to the beach after dinner around 8pm and watching the sun set in the west over the Indian Ocean. They are beautiful sunsets here, and very peaceful. I also love going to the beach after the bar around 2 in the morning. I love just listening to the ocean and watching the red and green lights of the ships out on the horizon. I really enjoy that, and could easily see myself living near an ocean later in life. One night Nicole, Matt and I even decided to go for an impromtu swim at that time. A little chilly, but very enjoyable.


Overall, I am having a tremendous time. I like a lot of the people, and everyone is getting along really well. The beaches are amazing, the weather even better, and the town very cool. Things will change a little when school starts, but I am sure we will still have a great time. Groups of friends are starting to form away from the entire group and that is a good thing, but we all still do a lot together. I did not know a single person when I came on this trip, but I think that was the best thing. I get along with everyone, and have already made a lot of new friends that I will keep. I cannot believe it has already been a week! Time flies. But who wouldn't have a good time when you spend your days and nights like this --

2 comments:

  1. wait, so you peed on this poor girls arm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no - we used vinegar for the acid because it has a much higher acidity than urine

    ReplyDelete