Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pre Fall Break Post

Yes it is true that I have not written in awhile. There is a combination of good reasons for it- I have had school work including some midterm stuff to do, lots of travel prep, etc. but I have also been a little bit lazy in this regard as of late- so here is a quick update.

I really have blitzed the city of Perth now and feel as if I have really covered the entire city pretty well. Nicole and I went to the Perth Mint, which was pretty exciting to see gold be created. I also went up the Swan Bell Tower where I learned that rining bells is very difficult, but the lady was very impressed when I could ring two bells at the same time and told me that if I practiced I could be one of the few people in the world who could be a world class bell ringer of two bells at the same time (I promise its not as easy as you are thinking it is).

We also went to an Professional Australian Rules Football Game at the large stadium between Perth and Fremantle. There are two professional teams based in the stadium, one for Perth (the West Coast Eagles) and the other the Fremantle Dockers. We saw Freo play, to a crowd of about 45,000. It was the first game of the year and we had pretty good seats in the first row. The game is pretty exciting, but the Dockers lost 141-94.

This past weekend four of us went to participate in an archaeological dig about 20-30 minutes from Fremantle. It is one of the earliest settlements in Western Australia. While digging and brushing in plot, near the hearth of a home, I discovered a brandy snifter from the 1820s. I also found some smoking pipes and a few other things. It was pretty neat to actually see the plotting and sifting take place for a real dig and be a part of it.

The Sacred Heart girls have been gone for a couple of days now, (they are up in Broome now)and the dorm really is a lot quieter without them. It is strange, however, and gave everyone sortof a somber preview of what the end of the semester will bring.

Here is the upcoming schedule:
Thursday morning at 3:30am we leave for the airport for a 6 day trip that will include Bangkok Thailand, Phuket Thailand, and Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. I am excited about my first trip to Asia, and also to see the Buddist influenced Eastern culture. KL should also be fun because it will be a compare and contrast as it is an Islamic culture.

The day after we get back we take our trip to Broome, the outback, where we will camp in tents with aboriginals for 5 days.

The next two weeks should go by pretty quickly, and it most likely will not be until then that I post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment