Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Labor Day!

Following the Coldplay concert on Friday and Caversham on Saturday, the rest of the weekend really wasn't too exciting.

A group of us got the information from South Bend that the new undergraduate business rankings have just come out for the year. Notre Dame has climbed the list again to #2! A lot of excited emails have been going around about the news that we attend a top two business school in the country, but the more exciting part is that we actually passed the Wharton School of Business at Penn. We still trail Virginia, but we're coming for them.

Sunday we went to a another big market, this one down in an old warehouse on the water, that is only open on the weekends. This one had more shops with souveniers and trinkets, as well as an international food court. After looking around for a while, we headed to the beach for a couple of hours before mass. Other than one of the nicer sunsets, not much exciting that evening.

Monday was Labor Day in Western Australia. Many shops and businesses were closed. For all of the Notre Dame students back in South Bend who always complain that we are practically the only school in the US that has school on Labor Day in September, be comforted in knowing that UNDA is alone in having school on Labor Day here (although I do not have classes on Monday so it did not affect me). The markets are open on Mondays of public holidays, so after getting some reading for classes done in the morning, I decided to go exploring. I went to the markets, which were jammed with people off of work, and there was a very festive atmosphere with music playing and dancing going on. I wandered around the Football Oval and prison, before deciding to go for a long walk.

I ended up going past Monument Hill, and tried to find the public golf course. When I did, I figured that I had walked over three miles to get there, I might as well hit some balls for my effort. I rented a club and a bucket of balls and hit 120 balls for an hour. It felt good to hit balls in the warm sun off of grass again (I know you are all jealous in Michigan). I started off a little weak but the last 60-70 balls I really was hitting it well. I intend on playing some golf while I am here.
I walked back the three miles and went to the beach for awhile before dinner.

Gary (the chef) was here for dinner because it was a Monday, even though it was Labor Day, and we had steak and potatoes to celebrate the holiday. I am not going to lie, I went to town on the food after all of the days activity. Following dinner, we actually hit the bars as a group pretty hard for a Monday- they stay open later because of the holiday. All in all, not a bad Labor Day- and I am really glad to hit golf balls again.

The trip for our dorm to the bar did highlight one point - this house is really and truly becoming the "Real World Fremantle" house. It is scary how similar to that it is. (If you do not get that reference, dont worry about it).

Finally, a quick shout out to Erica- Nicole is being mean.

4 comments:

  1. do you go to the bar everyday? i feel like every post consists of "...and then we went to the bar..." i mean that's, but I feel as if more education and learning took place ;)
    as if this needs to be said, take it easy.
    o ya, the Jersey Kearns sent me some 'tremendous' goodies including homemade rice krispie treats and muffins and assorted amazingness. Too bad you are half a world away...guess you came out 'down under' in this deal. Stay tuned to your next post for more horrible plays on words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think its funny the dudes name is Gary. Are there a lot of Lances there too?

    Matt, don't rip on the bars. I go almost everyday here to a cafe. While we don't always get beer we do always smoke shisha. Its just what the Egyptians do since Muslims don't drink.

    And Tom, I bet you can't beat $1.60 US for a 600ml bottle of beer. Thats what they cost at cafeteria huria.

    It sounds like your having an amazing time. Coldplay sounds like it was an incredible concert. Akon was cool just for the novelty of it, but Coldplay would have been infinitely cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with matt first of all, and second, it seems to me like every time the chef comes, it gets u in a good enough mood to go write.

    ReplyDelete