Sunday, May 17, 2009

Staying Busy

The last week was a very busy week academically for me. I had to turn in two projects and gave three presentations. In terms of school work, I still have two major essays and one paper, but that is it until finals. This week will be tough also because of those two major essays that I need to turn in.

One of the presentations that I had to give involved participating in the Model United Nations. I have never anything like that before, so it was a new experience. Kevin and I worked together as a nation, and we chose to represent the Vatican City. This was a good choice. As it turns out, the research for the Vatican was very easy, and it was not very hard to make sure to take their stance on issues when debating in the General Assembly. The Vatican does not get a lot of power in the UN, and therefore we didn't speak or debate very often. The topic was on sustainable engery sources, and a resolution was put forth. As the Vatican, we did put an aditional proposition to the resolution that was actually passed (almost nothing was passed) and did so with 0 No votes (although 3 abstentions). I can now say that I have participated in a Model UN.

Wednesday night, I went with a large group from our dorm through a tour of the Fremantle Prison. It was built during the 1800s and open until 1991. It was supposed to be a scary tour and is supposedly the third most haunted building in the country. I didn't think it was scary, but it was a nice tour of the prison- not a place you want to end up.

Saturday I actually had a weekend here for the first time in a long time, and I decided to go to the Perth Zoo. It is a very nice zoo and really well done, although not huge. They are very much like Disney with fake rocks and amazing landscaping really hiding the zoo part. Unlike the Potter Park Zoo, which is kinda random in its organistion, this was sepearted into different continent themed areas. The Australian Outback was cool because the kangaroos and wallabees just wander around the paths and can go anywhere and right up to you. I enjoyed the zoo. I also wandered around Perth for awhile and saw most of the things I had not seen. It was a nice day off.

There are many birthdays this weekend, so we went out to celebrate them. Some are turning 21, others 22. A lot of them are packed together, but we have had fun celebrating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment